VAT: reverse charge for construction services

Are you CIS and VAT registered? If so, read on…

From 1st October, the government is introducing the “VAT Domestic Reverse Charge” (also known simply as “Reverse Charge”) for businesses involved in building and construction services.

What is the Reverse Charge?

 The Reverse Charge is a way of passing responsibility for the reporting and paying of a VAT transaction from the seller to the buyer of goods or services.

So, instead of the seller paying the VAT, the buyer takes responsibility for it.

Why is this required?

 This is an anti-fraud measure. It removes the opportunity for fraudsters to charge VAT and not pay it back to the Revenue. It has been introduced in response to the VAT fraud and organised attacks on the VAT system in the construction industry, and means that the government can try to reduce the risk of companies charging VAT on their construction services and then vanishing before actually paying it over to the Government.

Yes, it does happen – and we know of some actual instances! A client paid for building work, including paying the VAT of course, and they then reclaimed that VAT as part of their normal accounting process. However, the building firm vanished into the mist without handing over the VAT to HMRC.

A huge amount of revenue is lost in this way, so the new legislation aims to make sure it’s correctly paid; HMRC expects to bring in an additional £90m in tax revenue for the first year, then £140m in the following year.

How will it work?

When a transaction is subject to Reverse Charge, the person receiving the goods or services must report on their VAT return both of the following:

  • their purchase – as their input VAT; and
  • the supplier’s sale – as their output VAT.

If you are the customer, you will have to account for the VAT amount through your VAT return instead of paying the VAT amount to your supplier. You will also be reclaiming that VAT amount as input tax (purchase VAT), subject to the normal rules, meaning that no net VAT is payable to HMRC.

If you are the supplier of the goods or services, you will still need to issue a VAT invoice that clearly shows that the supplies are subject to the reverse charge, but you must declare the net amount of the sale only (no VAT to be declared) on your VAT return.

Who will it affect?

The Domestic Reverse Charge will apply to you if you are in a business that is CIS registered, whether you supply or receive relevant goods or services.

There’s a long list of the services that are affected, which you can see here on the government website, or we can run through with you. Here are some examples – please note that this is not the complete list…

  1. The construction supplies are at the standard (20%) or reduced (5%) rate.
  2. You are constructing, altering, repairing, extending, demolishing or dismantling buildings or structures, including offshore installation services, power lines, aircraft runways, railways, inland waterways, docks or harbours.
  3. Your work involves pipelines, reservoirs, water mains, wells, sewers, industrial plant and installations for purposes of land drainage, coastal protection or defence.
  4. You install heating, lighting, air-conditioning, ventilation, power supply, drainage, sanitation, water supply or fire protection systems in any building or structure.
  5. You are involved with the internal cleaning of buildings and structures, so far as carried out in the course of their construction, alteration, repair, extension or restoration.
  6. You paint or decorate the inside or the external surfaces of any building or structure.
  7. You supply services which form an integral part of, or are part of the preparation or completion of the services described above. This includes site clearance, earth-moving, excavation, tunnelling and boring, laying foundations, erection of scaffolding, site restoration, landscaping and the provision of roadways and other access works.


As is often the case, there are some exceptions.

  • The domestic reverse charge does not apply to the zero-rated supply of construction services.
  • The domestic reverse charge only applies to supplies between UK taxable persons.
  • Any supplies of construction services that fall in the list shown above between sub-contractors and contractors will be subject to the domestic reverse charge unless they are supplied to a contractor who is the end user.


A company called “The supplier” provides construction services to a company called “The customer” for the net amount of £1,000.00 plus VAT.

What will happen after 1st October:

  1. “The supplier” must raise an invoice (specifying that this is a reverse charge service) to “The customer” for the total amount of the service provided, as usual: £1,200.00 (£1,000.00 plus the VAT at 20%).
  2. “The customer” will pay £1000 to the company.
  3. “The supplier” will not receive the total amount invoiced (£1,200.00) – they will only receive the net amount of the sale (£1,000.00) and the VAT sum will be held by “the customer.”

When preparing the VAT return:

  1. “The supplier” will declare on their VAT return only the net amount of the sale: £1,000.00, and must not declare the sales VAT stated on his invoice. So only the amount received will be declared.
  2. “The customer” must declare the £200 sales VAT in box 1 of his VAT return (as he has withheld the money) and then treat the purchase normally, declaring it in Boxes 4 and 7 of the same return.

Confused? Don’t worry – that’s why we’re here!

Cash flow impact

The reverse charge will have biggest impact on small and micro businesses, particularly in respect of loss of cash flow where subcontractors will no longer receive the VAT, as some businesses use the VAT they collect from customers as working capital before they pay it over to HMRC.

HMRC understands the difficulties businesses may have in implementing the domestic reverse charge and will “apply a light touch” in dealing with genuine mistakes that occur in the first six months after introduction, where businesses are trying to comply with the new legislation.

You can read much more about the reverse charge on the government’s website, but it’s long-winded. If you have any questions, it’s better to simply get in touch with our VAT team and we’ll be happy to talk you through the process.


Beyond Accountancy

At Nordens, we're more than just accountants - we're business experts who can help you achieve your biggest goals.

Nordens Strategic

Our specialist strategic division at Nordens boasts some of the leading entrepreneurial business minds in the country. We cater towards delivering consistent success stories, whilst helping businesses achieve above and beyond their initial goals.

Through highly-tailored guidance, coaching and advice, Nordens Strategic are able to define exactly how your business can reach new levels of success.

Regardless of how you define ‘success’ for your business, our strategic service is guaranteed to bring about real and lasting change. By partnering with some of the UK’s top business coaches, we’ll steer you along the path to a greater future.

Accounting 2 You

Every business, no matter how big or small, needs to make the right decisions, and how to best manage your accounts can put huge question marks over your business. Accounting2You is here to take that pressure off and provide you with all the answers you need.

Our bookkeeping branch offers a fully inclusive, comprehensive service that you can trust. Since 2005, our specialist bookkeepers have been successfully managing the accounting of both individuals and small businesses.

With experts in payroll analysis, credit control and financial recording, Accounting2You will lead your business efficiently, and with real purpose, towards a prosperous future.

Voted as EXCELLENT - 9.9 out of 10 based on 167 reviews

Chris Dyer

Director - Metro Bank

Nordens are always very easy to deal with and extremely professional and efficient. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to my clients for their accountancy needs, no matter how complex they may be.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Jamie Brown

Co-Founder - Chicmi Limited

Very good to work with - the team go above and beyond to make the accounts easy and efficient. They're all super friendly and a joy to work with.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Simon Rose

Director - Rose Opticians

I have been using Nordens Chartered Accountants for 5 years and very happy with the service provided. All members of the team are very knowledgeable and have a wealth of experience which has proved very beneficial to my organisation

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Rebecca Bossick

Founder & Director - Physio LDN

Very easy to contact and put me in touch with the right person whenever I need to ask any questions. Extremely knowledgeable and can help me manage my various businesses whenever I need.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

James Aconley

Principal - Pauline Quirke Academy

Great accountants, always available to offer advice. The team have transformed my business.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Christopher Wilce

Founder - Dataphone

Having worked with Nordens over the last 5 years, not only to look after my annual accounts but they have also provided outstanding professional advice. They have guided me through a Company share buyback with clear and objective advice. We have also been using Nordens strategic services for a couple of years, which has helped bring about significant improvements that exceeded my expectations. With experience of working with several local accountants over my 29 years in business, I’m very pleased with the service I have received from Nordens.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Dave Hodges

Director - Linekers

Trusted our business with Nordens for over 10 years now and watched the company grow into the successful innovative business it has become today. Deservedly so. Every aspect of financial advice we need is always given promptly and with a smile. We have total confidence in all aspects of advice Nordens give. If you are looking for accountants, its a no brainer!

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Tony Charles

Founder - Foundation Sports Limited

A fantastic, modern, vibrant firm that care about the clients and their staff in abundance. It is rare to find an Accountancy firm with such vibrance and focus and relationships. It is no wonder they win award after award in their field.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Peter Horlock

Managing Director - Prime Time Boilers

I have been with Nordens for many years now and they are a great accountants.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Simon Cushing

Founder - Vivid Finishes

We have used Nordens for the last 5 years and have had a great service throughout. The guys are very passionate about what they do and have played a part in the growth of our company, highly recommended.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Andrew Martin

Managing Director - AMD Interior Architecture

Great Service at Nordens from a friendly very approachable team Particularly Kirsty Willis and Joe Sword who have been helping us since we started the business in 2016.

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

James Robinson

Director - Forma London

Nordens provide a first class service. We moved to Nordens last year and have been impressed with the level of service provided. Keep up the good work!

Read more reviews on Trust Pilot

Latest News

We've always got our ears to the ground when it comes to interesting, useful and topical information relating to business and accountancy.

Business Credit Rating Score…
Most of us are familiar with credit scores, essentially a 3-digit number that shows how likely you are to be accepted for credit. The higher the rating, the more likely you are to be accepted for a credit application, whilst th...
Changes To National Insurance…
National Insurance is the bedrock of the state system, basically a tax on all earnings and self-employed profits from an individual. National Insurance Contributions (NICs) can be a confusing and complex situation for many, not...
Nordens TV

We love making videos that break down convoluted accountancy jargon into plain-talking, actionable and accessible facts.

Tax On Cryptocurrency? –…
I’m sure plenty of you have heard of cryptocurrency, especially the popular variants of Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and Cardano to name but a few. In fact, there’s thousands of different coins and tokens in circulation, with ne...
10 Easy Ways To…
Growing your business can often be an overwhelming and complex task, however by simply following some key guidelines you’ll place yourself in the best position to advance and cultivate success. Check out our Top 10 ways to grow...
  Why I Founded Nordens
Accounting 2 You

In November 2002, having sold our other business interests off earlier in the year, I decided to set up Nordens Chartered Accountants. The easy part was knowing how to do it, as I had established and built a smaller practice a few years earlier. The difficult part, for me, was not following the traditional accountancy path. Having run businesses, both successfully and unsuccessfully, I wanted to help business owners resolve their short term problems and work with them to achieve their longer term goals. Business has always been my interest and I love that I can help business owners achieve what seems like the impossible every single working day.

Mark Norden Signature

Mark Norden

We're Professionally Certified

Our limited company accountants have a range of qualifications from The Institute Of Chartered Accountants (ICAEW) to the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). We worry about the bye-laws, regulations and ethical guidelines of the ACCA so you don’t have to! That makes us an ACCA-accredited employer as well as a Professional Passport-accredited one!